The Java Programming course teaches students all Java skills required on the "AP Computer Science A" exam. While it can be taken standalone with no pre-requisites, this is one of our most advanced courses, and some degree of technical comfort is recommended.
Studying for the "AP Computer Science A" Exam
This course is on College Board recommended list for the AP CS A exam. The following documents will help you prepare for your AP class:
- Preparing for the AP Exam
- AP Exam Topic Cross-Reference
- College Board authorized syllabus #1829769v1
If you wish to complete the AP Course Audit using this course, you may simply "claim identical" to syllabus #1829769v1.
Students will complete hands-on coding projects in every chapter. Scroll through the images below to see a few examples of student work.
* AP and Advanced Placement Program are registered trademarks of the College Entrance Examination Board, which was not involved in the production of and does not endorse this product.
This is a two-semester course, with enough material for approximately 36 weeks of school when progressing with typical, daily work. The following prices apply for this two-semester course.
|Monthly Option||1-Year Option|
|Self-Study||$15 / month||$120 / year|
If you choose a 1-year option, then you can add additional siblings to the same class for $40. Additional siblings can be added by the teacher from within the course after your initial login.
If you choose a monthly subscription, then additional siblings can be added under the same teacher at the same monthly subscription rates.
Monthly or 1-Year Subscription
You can choose an affordable monthly subscription or purchase a 1-year subscription. Students will progress through courses at their own pace, normally finishing this course in two full semesters. But some students may complete the material more quickly or slowly.
Monthly subscriptions are auto-billed to your credit card each month. You can maintain the subscription for as long as your student needs to complete the course and cancel the subscription at any time; there is no long-term commitment.
1-year subscriptions let you pay one discounted price up-front for a full calendar year of access. After the first year, if you need more, you can convert your account to a monthly subscription.
Self Study - How It Works
Our self-study curriculum allows families to work through the material on their own, backed by our technical support. In a self-study course:
- Students move at their own self-study pace
- Our experts provide free technical support, answer student questions and help correct coding problems
- All quizzes and tests are automatically graded by the system
- Parents will monitor student progress (if desired)
- Parents will assign grades to hands-on projects (if desired)
- Parents will self-certify completion of the course (if needed)
Your self-study course includes a student account to access our online material and a teacher account that lets parents review fully coded activity solutions, access teacher's lesson guides and assign hands-on project grades.
Java Programming (AP) course meets standards for the AP Computer Science A exam.
Advanced Placement (AP) Computer Science A
This course requires a computer with the Windows or Mac operating systems.
Our course material and interactive online system can be accessed from any HTML5-compliant web browser on standard computers, laptops, or tablets with an Internet connection.
In order to complete hands-on projects, students will use a computer with one of the following operating systems:
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Mac OS version 10.7 or higher